Mildred, Clifford, Reta, Mabel Mangum
If you don't write it down it never happened.
Who are these people?
Where were they?
When was this picture taken?
What can I learn from the picture?
Why do I care?
Who are these people?
Where were they?
When was this picture taken?
What can I learn from the picture?
Why do I care?
I have often wondered about the experiences of our pioneer ancestors. Did they have a miserable crossing the whole time or were there times of singing and dancing and just plain having fun? Did they suffer in miserable weather or were there times of true appreciation for the breathtaking beauty of nature? Were they hungry all the time or were there times of deep gratitude for the food they had on hand? I would like to know, but in too many instances it was not written down.
I think of our ancestors who lived in Nauvoo, who helped build the temple, who knew the Prophet and his children personally. We get the stories of what happened there from journals written by other people and from a few short histories but not nearly enough from journals of our own ancestors who were there, who suffered much, who were strong in the faith and helped build the Kingdom under trying circumstances. I can't fault them, they had enough to do. But what about me?
The picture above is a part of my history. These are my father's siblings, Mildred, Clifford, Reta and Mabel Mangum. Looking at Reta, I would guess she is two or three years old - that would mean the picture was taken in 1918, the year after Dad was born in 1917. They were undoubtedly on Pine Creek Ranch. It appears that they are standing in front of a conestoga wagon. Is it one used by our ancestors when they came from Nauvoo to Salt Lake City and then to Wayne County?
Three months have gone by since my last post. Too many other things have come along. A flurry of activity in a variety of settings making it hard for me to decide what to blog about and making me sometimes question the value in it. I love that blogging keeps a history for me and even if no one else is interested, I can have a record of events and things that matter to me. Haven't I heard a prophet here and there tell us to write things down. I wish my ancestors had recorded more, but they had far better excuses than I do. I will try to blog again.

1 comment:
OK, OK. I'll try to blog again too. My motivation for doing it was to keep some sort of a record, but I, like you, wonder at times what value it really has. Mundane experiences in one life on this vast earth and throughout history seem ridiculously insignificant, but maybe when I'm dead and gone one of my grandchildren or great grandchildren or great-great grandchildren (will this stuff last that long?) will wonder what it was like to live in "the olden days" and can at least know what they were like for me. I'll get on it--after Girls Camp.
Post a Comment